Monday, February 27, 2012

Looking for Alaska

I've read a lot of reviews, and posts about Looking for Alaska by John Green. I've never read John Green before this, so this was new for me all around. 

That being said, it took me a while to read this book, and this may be simply because it's a contemporary novel. I like contemporary, but I don't seem to find them as enticing as supernatural or science fiction novels.



Anyways, this book was better than I expected it to be, and certainly went a different direction than I thought it might. By the end of this book I felt touched by the main character (Miles or Pudge as he is nicknamed) journey from his first day at a boarding school to the end of his first year there. 

Overall I'd say it was a 4/5 star book. Not one I'm going to rant about, but definitely something I would recommend to anyone that reads contemporary novels. 


Looking for Alaska
John Green

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps. 



No comments:

Post a Comment